Avid has Quit Unexpectedly #1: When Batch Capturing

This one was awesome, and unfortunately I do not have an actual image from the actual crash to show you, but it wasn't an Avid error, anyway.  Nope, this was a MacOS error - alert, really - just letting me know that this program which costs hundreds of dollars, running on thousands of dollars of machinery, required for producing hundreds of thousands of dollars of televised programming, crashed.

Well, thank you MacOS, for letting me know.  I had no idea up until this point that Avid was crap.

But what was I doing with this crash occurred?  Surely I was abusing the open workflow of Avid in some horrible, mean-to-programmers way?  Maybe, I guess, if you consider choosing "Batch Capture" from the Clip menu as a mean thing to do.

Workflow:  I select my clips in a bin, choose Batch Capture from the Clip menu, Avid asks me to put in Tape X, I put in Tape X, Avid stalls for 20 seconds or so and then exits to the desktop, which MacOS kindly points out to me.  Huh.  I've done this hundreds of times... what's different about this batch capture?

Well, there is one stand out issue here:  The name of the clip that is crashing Avid is fifty-billion characters long.  By way of example, it was something like this:

TAPEX_XT_NIGHT_A COUPLE OF GUYS ARE JUST WALKING ALONG AND THEN A CHICK SHOWS UP AND DOES A THING AND THEYRE LIKE DUDE AND SHES LIKE DUDE AND THEN SHE IS A DUDE AND THEY ALL DO A THING AND HOLY CRAP DUDE ITS DUDEDUDEDUDE.new.01

So yeah, that was pretty crappy logging on the part of the logger, and - as fate would have it - Avid is really opposed to logging of that poor caliber.  So opposed, in fact, that Avid literally kills itself rather than having to stoop so low as to batch capture a clip with a logged name of that length.

So I shortened the name to :

TAPEX_XT_NIGHT_DUDE

Issue solved.

God damn Avid, if you don't like long clip names, limit the freaking character length like you do with bin names and save us all the trouble!  Or maybe learn to fucking catch your errors and post a useful message like "clip name too long to uprez, because we don't know how to program good, or have proper grammar."  Ugh.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Reset your PRAM and Delete your Site Settings

Exception: SYS_ERROR, OSErr: -5000

File 'Avid_MediaFiles' not found.