Avid Behaving Badly #24: Importing 60 fps footage stutters during 23.976 playback

 So I work in Development now, and one of the things we do in Development is steal from other shows. Not like "concepts" or whatever, but literal footage. That's how it works. You go to the head of a network and say, "We have a brand new idea for a show that's never been on TV before!" And then they say, "Show me the teaser trailer for this thing that you literally just told me doesn't exist!" And then you say, "Were you not paying any goddamn attention? That doesn't exist!"

That's not true. What you actually say is, "Why yes, I will. Our trailer is right here, and our amazing editor, Judd, made it, with his bare hands, because he's literally the BEST."

But how did I make it? By screen capturing a bunch of other shows that had scenes or lines I wanted, and I stitch them all together in my little timeline with a bunch of music that isn't licensed because it's never going to air and no one will ever know (except I'm gonna blog about it later) and that's how the sausage is made!

Except this fucking sausage sucks ballsack, because whenever I screencap my brand new sick as fuck Macbook Pro Max, and I get a smooth as butter 60 fps capture with crystal clear picture that's so clean you could drink it, and I import that beauty into Avid, Avid shits the goddamn bed and plays back a stuttering mess of hot garbage that I wouldn't show to a blind person.

Until NOW!

Because I have discovered that while importing the footage doesn't work right, AMA linking to the footage and then transcoding it (which should be the exact same fucking process as importing, Avid) works perfectly! And the end result is a gorgeous 23.976 conversion of my 60 fps screencap that is suitable to use when demonstrating how a thing that doesn't exist will look if only you give us enough money to make it exist.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Comments

  1. I hate everything about this company, from the logo to the mediocre user experience. And this comes from a guy who learned to love Final Cut Pro X after years bumping my head on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Judd!!! This isn't related to the blog post, but I'm wondering if you or anyone you know anyone at Lighthearted might have copies of seasons 1-5 of Next, the MTV show! A few people online are worried that they may be lost. I can't find copies anywhere! Send me an email at annierau at umich dot edu if you can help!
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to Reset your PRAM and Delete your Site Settings

Exception: SYS_ERROR, OSErr: -5000

File 'Avid_MediaFiles' not found.