Avid Behaving Badly #8: No Such Thing as Project Templates?

Let's engage in some hypothetical discourse:

Hypothetically, you are the creator of a suite of editing software.
Hypothetically, you want this to be the go-to editing suite for professionals.
Hypothetically, you understand that once businesses design their workflow, they want to plug that workflow into every single one of their projects.

Any guesses what I'm talking about, here, Avid?  None?  I'm talking about this bullshit:

Seriously, how fucking hard is it to add project templates to this behemoth of a program?  If my goddamn Cannon Printer Software can store templates, how incredibly hard would it be for you to do it?  And I'm not talking about anything complicated here.  I'm just talking about making and naming a bunch of folders so as to save me from spending fucking days fixing some asshole's half-handed attempt at organization just so that I can actually do some goddamn work.

Do you know what I do?  I have a folder saved called "Templates" and inside it is a bunch of other folders named things like "01. Current Cuts", "02. Old Cuts", and "58. Avid Can Blow Me".  Then I just copy those folders into every single new project that I ever make.  All of them.  Especially the Avid Can Blow Me folder.  I copy that one like fifteen times.

You know what I'd like?  I'd like to have something like, and this seriously pains me to say, I'd like to have something like Microsoft Word or Excel, where when you make a new project, it pops up with "what template would you like to use" and then when I'm inside an existing project, I can go to the file menu and select "save template".  So come the fuck on, Avid, and get with the 1980's already.

Comments

  1. Enjoy your blog, Judd. Agreed that Avid really should provide templates, but you might be interested in this third party solution :
    http://dylanreeve.com/software/dylans-templater
    Proof that Avid is getting closer to Final Cut; don't release true full version, just have third parties write software for things that should really be already included.


    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Accidental Misanthrope!

    That's a really interesting piece of software you've linked to, and it's basically what I'm looking for in Avid. And exactly to your point, you'd think Avid would include their own macro scripting by now, but no - we have to use Quickeys. All of the functionality of Pluraleyes should also be built in to Avid. And what about XDCam proxy import? We need external transfer software for that because Avid is so damn slow at it. The pieces are all out there - it's just a job in and of itself to fit them together just so that Avid works.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to Reset your PRAM and Delete your Site Settings

Exception: SYS_ERROR, OSErr: -5000

File 'Avid_MediaFiles' not found.