Avid Behaving Badly #5: The Autosave Timer

Avid doesn't give a shit when you last saved.  If you set that autosave timer to every 15 minutes (the standard at every company I've ever worked at), then it will goddamn autosave on the hour, quarter past, half past, and quarter to the next hour, regardless of whether or not you literally just pressed save.

Today I saved my bins at 1:14 pm, and by the time it finished saving, the clock and turned, and so Avid ran the autosave.  In whose fucking moronic brain did this behavior make sense?  Editors are paid to edit, not to watch the slow as molasses save bar crawl across the screen like a geriatric without LifeAlert!

Avid devs, take note:  Change Avid to log the last time that the program saved all of the bins, and the run the autosave fifteen minutes after that.  If the user saves all the bins within those 15 minutes, reset the goddamn timer.  Seriously.

Speaking of time being tantamount to money, if I'm going to get my producer so he can watch down my cuts, I always save all of my bins before walking away from my desk, just in case Avid decides to hate me behind my back.  That being said, I can't tell you the number of times that I've fetched a producer, just to have him sit down in my bay and then watch the save meter because the autosave timer flipped just as he stopped texting and said, "okay, let's go."

I suppose that it is a little comforting to know that Avid doesn't just hate me:  It hates my producer, too.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to Reset your PRAM and Delete your Site Settings

Exception: SYS_ERROR, OSErr: -5000

File 'Avid_MediaFiles' not found.